Representatives from e2v and SODERN marked the sale of the 100th highly efficient three-axis satellite attitude control star tracker equipped with e2v CCDs (Charge Coupled Devices), with a celebratory event at the SODERN head office in Limeil-Brevannes, France on the 24th October.
Star trackers are optical devices used for determining the orientation of a satellite by measuring its position relative to stars.
e2v’s front face, 1kx1k, CCD47-20 sensors equip SODERN’s SED16/26/36 star trackers and are in use on the following missions:
- Low earth orbit scientific: PROTEUS platform, ATV, PLEIADES, THEOS, KOMPSAT, AIM
- Interplanetary: SELENE, DAWN
- Geostationary telecommunications: AMC12 and 23, APSTAR, SYRACUSE-3, KOREASAT-5, CHINASAT-6B
SODERN’s new generation of autonomous star trackers have become the standard for most space missions thanks to their ease of operation (e.g. provision of a permanent altitude measurement function during the geostationary transfer orbit phase), improved performance, particularly in terms of reliability and robustness, and to the price competitiveness afforded for attitude control systems.
SODERN has chosen to equip their star trackers with e2v CCDs because of their high technical performance (including DSNU (Dark Signal Non Uniformity), dark current, efficient binning and dump drain functionality), and the depth of e2v’s experience in space programs.
Brian McAllister, Aerospace General Manager at e2v said “We are delighted to be celebrating this important landmark with SODERN and look forward to building on our successful working relationship with them in the future.”
PRESS OFFICE CONTACT:
Jessica Broom (UK) firstname.lastname@example.org Tel: + 44 (0) 1245 453 607
NOTES FOR EDITORS
e2v technologies plc
e2v technologies is a leading designer, developer and manufacturer of specialised components and subsystems, falling within two product groups:
- Electronic tubes
- Sensors and Semiconductors
These products enable some of the world’s leading OEMs to deliver innovative systems for medical and science, aerospace and defence, and commercial and industrial applications.
For the year ended 31 March 2007, e2v achieved sales of £174m and is listed on the London Stock Exchange (e2v.l). In July 2006 e2v technologies plc acquired a leading designer, manufacturer and distributor of specialised electronic components and sub-systems, based in Grenoble, France and in May of 2007 e2v plc acquired MiCS Microchemical Systems SA a designer and manufacturer of semiconductor based gas sensors. These acquisitions strengthen the Group’s position as a major global provider of specialised electronic components and subsystems.
e2v’s products are supplied into three core market areas:
- Medical & Science: Sensor technology includes imaging sensors for intra-oral and panoramic dental X-ray, mammography, life science applications and X-ray microscopy. Electronic tubes are the enabling technology behind radiotherapy cancer treatments, microwave medical therapy and high-energy physics.
- Aerospace & Defence: Sensor technology includes products for military surveillance, targeting and guidance, space-based imaging and astronomy, radar, electronic warfare, and broadband data converters and microprocessors for aerospace applications. Electronic tubes provide the enabling technology behind radars, electronic countermeasures (ECM), electronic warfare and satellite communications.
- Commercial & Industrial: Sensor technology includes marine radars, industrial safety sensors, automotive radars and alarms, thermal imaging cameras used by fire fighters, CCD and CMOS high resolution line scan cameras for industrial inspection. Electronic tubes provide enabling technology behind TV broadcast, satellite communications, marine radar and food & industrial processing.
The overall purpose of the business is to grow sustainable shareholder value whilst appropriately meeting the expectations of customers, people, partners, suppliers and the wider community. e2v’s vision is to create value through bright ideas in technology and materials science. The Company’s mission is to place customers at the heart of the business, providing enabling products of premium quality that extend technical barriers and enhance the competitive position of our partners.
e2v has approximately 1,800 employees worldwide with three UK based manufacturing sites in Chelmsford, Lincoln and High Wycombe, one in Grenoble, France and one in Corcelles, Switzerland. In addition e2v has sales offices in the UK, USA, Germany, France and Hong Kong, as well as a network of distributors and representatives covering other key territories.
Further information on e2v technologies plc is available from its website, www.e2v.com
Further information on SODERN is available from its website www.sodern.fr